The Career Mentoring program was created with the desire to see the greater Portland area’s workforce more closely represent the diversity and strengths of its population. This initiative is funded by a grant from Worksystems and will serve diverse job seekers with barriers to employment pursuing careers in the technology or healthcare industries and participating in WorkSource training and employment programs.
The Career Mentoring program matches aspiring job seekers enrolled in either TechRise PDX or NW Promise to participate in a mentoring relationship with a professional in their industry.
LengthMentoring relationships last about one year
Time Commitment2 hours per month
ExperienceNo mentoring experience is required for those who wish to become mentors
TrainingMentors and mentees receive mentoring and cultural competency training
CostNo cost to participants, sponsored by Worksystems and Portland Leadership Foundation
Why become a mentee?
- To build a trusting relationship with an industry professional who is committed to supporting the career growth of non-traditional and diverse job seekers
- To partner with an industry professional to advance your professional development
- To gain exposure to the culture of the technology or healthcare industries
- To increase your skills and knowledge to help you get your foot in the door in your desired industry
Why become a mentor?
- To serve as a role model to aspiring professionals
- To influence the career growth of non-traditional and diverse job seekers with barriers to employment
- To directly impact an increase in the diversity of the technology and healthcare industries in your community
Become a Mentee
The ideal mentee candidate:
- Is actively enrolled in TechRise PDX or NW Promise
- Has recently completed, or is about to complete, an industry training
- Has potential barriers to employment
- Is within 6 months pre-employment up to 6 months post-employment
- Is able to commit to meeting with a mentor over a 12-month period
- Is motivated to pursue professional development goals
- Is seeking a professional network or social capital to successfully launch a career in technology or healthcare
How to apply:
Mentees must be referred by their career coach in TechRise PDX or NW Promise. Contact your career coach for more details.
Become a Mentor
The ideal mentor candidate:
- Has work experience in either the technology or healthcare industries
- Has a desire to impact the diversity of the local workforce
- Is able to commit to meeting with a mentee over a 12-month period
- Is comfortable building trusting relationships with people from diverse backgrounds
- Can relate to, or empathize with, challenges mentees might be facing as candidates in their industry